Saturday, May 12, 2007

Proactive

It’s been quite awhile since I last updated my blog. I am going to have busy weeks looking forward ahead. Why is that so? All thanks due to one of my engineer who will be going to be station in Suzhou for a year upon an ‘Ang Moh’ request. His short-term assignment of one year to Suzhou could not have come at the worst time indeed. Now I am left with no choice but to get personally get involved in software development project and day-to-day software maintenance and sustaining activities myself. I am a technically inclined manager, perhaps one of the very few managers in the company that still prefers to the hands-on to the typical people management role. Why would one engineer have so much impact on my team? Reason being that he is the only engineer in my team that received the software training from the US counterpart. Secondly he is a very resourceful and diligence in his work. I have always wanted to get myself personally involved with some of the software development projects but finds it hard to do so due to lack of software and hardware developments system.

Well, how do I feel about the whole thing? Nothing much except for the fact that I will be more occupied in the office, busier and has less time for tea break during weekdays. Sometimes I wish I could hit the jackpot and retired early to enjoy the finer things in life. I could imagine all the things that money could buy and the holidays I could take all year round. At times I wonder if it takes certain twist of events to make us realize that life is very unpredictable and that we should make full use of the good times on what we have to achieve our goals and dreams while we can. Without pressure and discontent in work life some of us may procrastinate and not make effort to set goals to improve our quality life so to speak. Most of us are contented to stay put within our own comfort zone. We hardly give a thought to our future so long as we feel comfortable with where we are.

Which of these would you prefer, to be push and driven into seeking new opportunities or to be attracted and drawn to pursue our goals and dreams, the push or the pull factor to start to keep the ball rolling with regards to achieving your goals and dreams so to speak? Anthony Robbins, the motivational speaker rightfully spells out in his book ‘ Awaken The Giant Within’ that most people procrastinate so long as they don’t feel any pain. Why wait to get ourselves to experience pain before we do something to improve our quality life? Isn’t it better to plan for the future while we are in still living within our comfort zone? Be proactive and preemptive in our desire to seek for better quality life by, through actions with regards to our goals instead of being reactive and just daydream about it so to speak.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

0 comments: