Sunday, June 10, 2007

If only

If only I possess the skill and education…
If only I have the money…
If only I am not married and have no family.
If only I come from a rich family.
If only I am much younger..
If only I am half as smart as he or she..

Does the list above of ‘if only’ sounds familiar to you? I am sure at one time or another one of these ‘if only’ comes to our mind. Somehow I feel that the ‘if only’ is as good as useless and unproductive thinking since it does not help us to solve whatever problems and challenges we face in life. The ‘if only’ thoughts serves more as an excuse and easy way out for us to lament the problems and challenges in life.
We cannot change the past. Having thoughts of the ‘if only’ cannot change what that has occurred in life nor does it help to address the reality in life.
We must take concrete steps and measures to address all problems in life instead of indulging in self-pity. Yes, it is human nature to lament over problems we faced in life and to envy others. At the end of day, having said thought of all the ‘if only’, no one can help us if we do not help ourselves. So the next time if we feel being inclined to or having thoughts of ‘if only’ why not switches off our negative thoughts and re-enforce our positive thoughts, not of trying to change the past, instead to learn from the past, to learn from our mistakes and to face the future with confidence, knowing that success is not the destination but part of the journey.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

0 comments: