Monday, November 05, 2012

One Way Ticket To The Hospital

In my younger days, probably when I was six or seven years old, I used to hear my old neighbor grandparents, in their late 70 or early 80 said regardless of whatever illnesses, they will never go to hospital for treatment.

The old adage and notion held by many elderly folks during those days were that the chances of them getting well and discharge  from hospital treatment is very slim. Some old folks even view the hospital as a death sentence, a one way ticket to the grave so to speak.

I was rather amused and thought that old people are rather superstitious or  misinformed about not being able to get well from hospital treatment. I guess I was wrong after all these years. Well you see, the old folks are smarter than we think.

Checkout this article on the health risk associated with hospital errors and mismanagement. Medical treatment facilities are among the most gem filled places. You strongly advice to wash your hands with thoroughly when you leave hospital.

Besides, some drugs administered by doctors are not without side effect all together. I recalled my dad lose a lot of weight when he was warded to the hospital for diabetic related conditions.

What transpire in the new few weeks in the hospital was really upsetting to say the least. A junior doctor (probably a houseman) said my dad had some eye complications (which is absurd because he had excellent eyesight! ).

Instead of focusing on more pertinent conditions such as bloating and indigestion of food, swollen legs and increase heart palpitations, some of the junior doctors choose to put their diagnose focus on his eye instead. Later I discovered it is because some of them were working on project relating to ophthalmology!.

Anyway, the point I am would like to make is that don't discount old folks concerns regarding medical centers.  My dad was lucky that he was discharge after spending a month being poke with  various needles for blood sampling.

All said and done, he continue to live for another year and finally suffered a heart attack in the early hours of dawn and passed way .

It's been eighteen years and I reckon how time sure pass quickly. Despite the advancement of medical science, some hospitals around the world continue to pose high infection and medical error risks to patients and visitors.





Blog Widget by LinkWithin
blog comments powered by Disqus