Monday, March 24, 2008

Mixed signal






I commute to work daily using the public transport. Its routine to hear the following announcement in the train namely ‘ If you see any suspicious person or any suspicious items in the train, please press the emergency button to alert the train officials.’ There’s warning message sticker pasted besides the emergency stop push button though; the message? A person is liable to be fine up to 5 thousand dollars if he or she press the emergency stop button unnecessary.’ How about that? I wonder who would want to take the risk of been slap with a hefty fine for pressing the emergency stop button of the train even if he or she chance upon a suspicious looking character? I may find a person to be of questionable character while another person may think otherwise. One man’s meat is another man’s poison so to speak isn’t it?

On a lighter note, do you keep any plants at home, particularly if you are staying in HDB flats? I suppose not everyone is cut out to rear indoor plants successfully. Apart from having to ensure adequate sunlight and water, it is important to know the type of soil and the type of nutrients that the plant required. I must admit I am complete nerd when it comes gardening.

There’s one type of plant that require minimal attention and handling; a type of plant which I enjoy and have successful grown throughout the years though. What plant am I referring to? Of course it’s the mini or baby cactus. Cactus belongs to the member of the succulent plant family. Cactus is well suited to the hot and humid tropical environment such as Singapore. I once bought a dozen or more baby cactuses from Cameron Highland, Malaysia and brought them back to my apartment in Singapore. Within two weeks or so, tiny buds of flowers sprung up among the cactuses. It was truly a wonderful sight to behold.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

1 comments:

Sarah Bloom said...

I love your pictures! You know some other great houseplants are Anthurium Pacora, Zamioculcas zamiifolia, and Dracaena Santa Rosa. I do not have a green thumb, and I live in an apartment that doesn't get much light, so I've been doing research about this. :-) Have a great day!