Friday, November 10, 2006

All it takes is one bad action

Have you ever experience the sense of utter frustration, disappointment and guilty when you lose a game tournament. Try to visualize the fact that you were doing well in the 1st and 2nd set of an important game but completely fumble and lose your touch in the final game set thus blowing your chances of winning the trophy or the medal. Lack of focus, concentration, patience, stamina and an increase of tiredness and lethargic conditions may one way or another contributes to loosing a match.

Seagate Product Quality and Design Reliability department organized a team building-bowling tournament on the 10th of November. I am not new to bowling, neither am I a good player so to speak. On the average I go bowling once every 4 years or more. There were 3 game set in this bowling tournament. Each team comprises four people. Surprisingly I was the best player during the 1st game achieving a high score of 140 points! I came in second during the 2nd game set with 105 score point. I completely fumble and loose my touch during the final game set. At once occasion, I hit only one pin during one of the final game set match. There were all together 8 or 10 (cant remember though) throws for each game set. I never recover my composure and peak form of the1st and 2nd match and slip into complete immobility during the final game set. I ponder upon the situation after match and figure out that there are some important lessons to be learnt from this game

Firstly it does not really matter how a story begin so to speak, it is the ending that counts.
Consider the situation in Iraq and I suppose you know what I meant.

I was doing well in the 1st and 2nd game set but I fare poorly during the final game set and that cost me the best individual performer medal. A single bad game set outcome could drastically alter the final result of the game match.
It is the ultimate overall best player that counts, not the best player in the 1st or 2nd match but the best overall player in terms of overall average score that matter most.
We need to hold on to our patience, be focus, attentive and determination to push through the last round of the game match. I took the final game set for granted and thought that I could pull through with the same hat trick that I did on the 1st and 2nd match. I was very impatient and loose my focus completely. I kept telling myself that there were10 throws in the final game set match and that all I needed was three strikes to hit the turkey bonus rewards of 60 points. I should have concentrate on giving my best for each throw rather than hoping to achieve 3 strikes only for the entire final game match. Thus I should have managed each throw carefully and not banging on 3 strikes out of the 10 throws to recover or rather cure my poor 3 games set performance.
People who lost in gambling bets always tend to place more bets on the next game hoping to recover all their losses, a recipe for ultimate disaster so to speak.

In summary, life is best managed and not cured. After all prevention is better than cure.One single bad investment or bad action on our part could easily wipe out all years of hard work and good returns. So the next time, do take note at times there are mistakes that we could afford to make and learn from, there are some mistakes that we simply cannot afford to make at all.

You can do well on nine occasions and one mistake on the 10th occasion; people will remember you for that one particular mistake that you make on the 10th occasion and not the rest of the occasion where you did well.

So till then have a nice day and cheers!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

0 comments: